May 8, 2009

AT Thru-hike Update 05-08-09

I've requested time off from my employer. I am taking a voluntary leave without pay. My salary will be annualized so that I'm not without rent payment for three months (yes, 3 months is all I can get). There are 2 options for my hike time table.
Option 1:
Leave DC on Saturday June 27th. Drive to Charleston, WV. Teach my wonderful father and mother how to use my spread sheets for mileage and shipping timelines. Make sure all mail drops are packed and ready to ship. Hand my parents the finalized shipping itinerary. Drive to Amicalola Falls State Park and make the 8.8 mile hike up the approach trail to Springer Mountain Shelter on June 30th and start my first full day of hiking July 1. The hike would continue northbound through October 1. I hope to finish the trail at that time, but if I am slower than I anticipate or if I incur injury and am unable to maintain my pace I will hike as far as I can. But to maintain employment I have to return to work at that time. I am fortunate to have a job that is this flexible. The office has to reduce the number of hours of operation during this time frame due to pour funding and financial strain. However, my boss, to my understanding, has been throwing tantrums due to less than optimal circumstance due to finance as well. Selfishness tends to prevail. So we'll see.
Option 2:
I wait until September. I travel southbound. I try not to freeze my ass in the White Mountains and Smokies. I would also be leaving my job at a time when we have more paying work. Just based on mileage to the trail heads, I have my preference.
Charleston to Amicalola Falls State Park 8.3 hours

View Larger Map
Charleston to Millinocket 17.1 hours

View Larger Map

2 comments:

Jolly Green Giant said...

Stick with updating your blog. I'd like to know how your thru-hike works out. Best of luck and stay strong mentally as your body will follow suit.

Matt Mahaney said...

Thanks for posting. I'm trying hard to keep a positive outlook. If I do have to go later in the year, I'll finally have the time to work on my winter trekking skills. Thanks for the post. I didn't think anyone was reading.